Thursday, March 26, 2009

The God Story

I was at an FA meeting when I first got 'clean', and I heard the most wonderful nugget. I have added to it and embelished it for artistry.
A starving man sat on the sidewalk, fists clenched tightly around two small scraps of bread, his last morsel of food. He silently lifted his eyes to the Heavens, and prayed for deliverance from the Hell of his life.
God appeared to him, and asked, "what is it that troubles you, son?" The starving man stared in wonder at God, and said, "I am starving, too afraid to eat my remaining food, and too weak to attempt to get anything else to eat." God smiled lovingly at the man, and said, "You are stronger than you think! You brought me here! Now, give me your hands, and I will heal you." The starving man looked down at his clenched fists, and slowly raised them towards God. "I can't let my food go!" He sobbed the words, arms raised in supplication, food clutched still. God again smiled, because God loves us regardless of our behavior. He put one hand on top of the clenched fist of the starving man, and said, "Let go. You are cared for."
The starving man began to weep anew at these words. His fists spasmed, as though he were trying to convince himself that he would survive. "Let go, I will care for you." God remained touching the man gently on top of his clenched fists, smiling at him. He seemed so sure that the man would be alright. Slowly, oh so slowly, the starving man began to loosen his grip. As he did, God slipped a hand in each of the man's, and pulled him to his feet. He took the scraps of bread, and placed them on the ground, generous lunch for smaller beings. God turned the starving man around by the shoulders, and before them sat a small hut. God guided the man into the hut, and there was a bounty of food. Chicken, apples, bread and fruit of all kinds. The man fell to the feast. God let him eat for a few moments, then pulled him gently away from the table. "Easy, my son. This is a magical table, and will remain full for you as long as you are humble, grateful and hardworking. " God smiled a final time, and disappeared.
Fabu out.

No comments:

Post a Comment